Friday 8 January 2010

Got Axe - Part 1

Yeah, yeah, I know it's been a while. Dissertation, Christmas, blah blah - kinda been dead the past month or so. But have re-applied myself to this blog, and will hopefully update more regularly from now on, as my dissertation is complete! :) Hard-bound and everything:



Okay, so to get myself back in the creative zone, I've decided to work on a T-Shirt design based around Yakkus, Fraser's Minotaur fighter from our D&D group. I want it to be graphically strong, more of a silhouette and tonal piece than anything else. Pretty much trying to channel Mike Mignola's Hellboy style:




Did some practise sketches to warm up my very rusty drawing skills and get a feel for the character:




And after some experimentation I got a real feel of how I wanted the design to look:


I love the facial expression =D Anyone who knows Fraser will recognise the evil grin as the one he wears when causing mayhem and carnage.

Anyway, after getting the expression down I enlisted some help from my brother with regards a reference picture for the pose:



And after pecilling a a sketch and inking it via lightbox I ended up with this:


...Which I am pretty proud of, if I say so myself ^_^

Planning on working out the shading etc. next. Gonna do all that stuff digitally I think - probably in illustrator. With big thick shadows and small white highlights - and bright red blood dripping off that badass executioners axe >=D

The slogan for the T-shirt, just in case you're wondering, is gonna be "Got axe...?"

(Like the "got milk?" slogan, get it? =D)

Anyway, that's all for now, peace out! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment